Yes, God talks with people. God doesn't just listen to prayers, He speaks to us also. It's called a relationship. In every healthy relationship there is two-way communication. Your relationship with God is no different. God isn't in some far off place where you can only reach him when you're at church or practicing some religious customs one day a week.
You have to be listening for His voice. Funny story, the first time I heard from God, I told a family member that I heard God's voice, her response was to have me committed to a mental institution. Funny right. She was serious. That was the last time I would tell a family member that I talked to God. I kept this secret to myself for a long time. It wasn't until I met others who told me they also heard from God.
God speaking to people isn't a new thing. He talked with Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses. The list of people who hear from God is in fact quite long.
God's voice is a still small voice, deep within you and the only way you can hear it, is if you stop talking and listen.
I suggest when you first start, do it silently-in your head. Just the two of you. It can be anywhere or anytime. God's available for us 24/7. You need to quiet your mind and focus on God. Be with Him in His presence. Maybe start by praising Him, tell him about your day, maybe even a question that's been on your heart to ask.
Turn off the media, phones, TV, internet, get to a quiet place and be still and listen.
God even commands us to be still. Psalm 46:10 says..."Be still and know that I am God."
If you would just sit still for 15 min and pray and then listen, you will hear. His voice isn't like any other voice. It doesn't nag, attack, condemn, it doesn't harp. It's a soft gentle voice, full of compassion and love, it encourages, leads, guides, helps and is extremely personal.
Will you be still and know God?